Practical Steps for Building a Data Strategy and Governance
With Data at the forefront of business, the need for organisations to create a comprehensive Data Strategy is greater than ever, with both the increase in data regulations and the focus on data driven business strategies.
However, creating an enterprise data strategy and supporting data governance model can be a formidable task. Often, it’s difficult to know where to begin, and how best to prioritise efforts with the large number of stakeholders and competing initiatives.
Data is at the heart of all organizations, like blood flowing through its arteries and veins. However, all too often Information is not professionally managed with the rigour and discipline that it demands. Nonetheless the implications of poorly managed information can be catastrophic, from legal and other regulatory sanctions ultimately to business collapse.
This course will provide concrete practical approaches to get you started on your Data Strategy, the typical contents of a Data Strategy, and the ways in which your supporting data governance framework can be organised.
What you will learn
- Understand the key components that constitute a Data Strategy
- Learn about the need for and application of Data Asset management and Governance for different categories of challenges
- Understand the Data Asset management and Governance implications of a variety of regulatory acts and how to prepare your organisation for compliance
- Learn how to create a case for obtaining business buy-in for a data strategy
- Explore a Business focused Data Governance framework and understand how it aligns with other architecture frameworks
- Understand the critical role that Data Governance plays in the Information disciplines of Master Data Management and Data Quality management
- Understand the detailed Data Governance roles together with the activities required for them – including Data Owner, Data Steward and Data Custodian
- Learn the different motivations for Data Asset management and Governance and how best to implement DG approaches
- Develop a set of usable techniques that can be applied to a range of Information Management challenges
- Learn the best practices for managing Enterprise Information needs
- Understand the different operating models for Data Governance & determine which is the best fit for your organisation
- Learn how to create an actionable road map to implement your Data Strategy
- Understand how to identify the additional activities that are necessary to support the Data Strategy
- Components of a Data Strategy
- Establishing Goals & Gaining Buy-In
- Data Management Maturity Assessment
- Data Governance: Managing people, Organisation & Process
- Prioritising Business Critical Data & Capabilities
- Defining an actionable Roadmap
- Additional activities to support the Strategy