Practical Data Ownership, Stewardship and Governance
This course will provide a solid foundation in the topic of Data Asset Management and Governance by describing its purpose, outcome, the typical organization structures required and the key business drivers for Data Governance.
It will highlight the Data Asset Management and Governance implications of various regulatory acts with a focus on GDPR and illustrate how organisations can prepare for compliance.
Additionally, the practical roles responsibilities and activities involved in establishing successful Data Governance together with example Data Governance metrics for measuring progress of a Data Governance initiative will be highlighted. Importantly it will show how Data Asset Management and Governance can be implemented in bite sized chunks vs being introduced in a top-down “big bang” manner.
The vital relationship between Data Governance and other core disciplines of Master Data Management, Data Modelling, Metadata Management & Data Quality management will be highlighted.
This course addresses all the core Data Asset Management and Governance considerations and introduces the other associated Information Management disciplines. This course also prepares students wishing to take the specialist Data Governance examination as part of the Industry professional DAMA CDMP certification.
What you will learn
- Learn about the need for and application of Data Asset Management and Governance for different categories of challenges
- Understand the Data Asset Management and Governance implications of a variety of regulatory acts and how to prepare your organisation for compliance
- Understand the Data Governance implications of GDPR and the key steps to ensure compliance – whilst improving organisational Data Management
- Explore a Business focused Data Governance framework and understand how it aligns with other architecture frameworks
- Understand the core concept of Information lifecycle management, the different stages and why they are important
- Understand the critical role that Data Governance plays in the Information disciplines of Master Data Management and Data Quality Management
- Understand the role and the activities required of a Chief Data Officer (CDO)
- Understand the detailed Data Governance roles together with the activities required for them – including Data Owner, Data Steward and Data Custodian
- Learn the different motivations for Data Asset Management and Governance and how best to implement DG approaches
- Develop a set of usable techniques that can be applied to a range of information management challenges
- Learn the best practices for managing Enterprise Information needs
- Understand the different operating models for Data Governance & determine which is the best fit for your organisation
- Learn how to create Data Governance organisation and committee structures to address differing styles of Organisational Management
- Introduction to Data Asset Management and Governance
- The relationship between Data Governance and the other Information disciplines
- The Data Asset Management and Governance implications of selected regulatory acts
- A pragmatic workable framework for Data Asset Management and Governance
- How to determine the Data Governance operating model most suited to start DG in your organisation, and why this may not be the ultimate ideal choice
- Is Data Asset Management and Governance being too theoretical?
- Do we need a Chief Data Officer?
- Data Asset Management and Governance Organisation, Roles and Responsibilities
- Keeping a Data Asset Management and Governance initiative going
- The role of the Data Governance office (DGO)
- Examination of the categories of tools supporting Data Asset Management and Governance