Practical Data Governance, Stewardship & Compliance
This 2-day course will provide a solid foundation in the topic of Data Stewardship & Governance by describing its purpose, outcome, the typical organization structures required and the key business drivers for Data Governance.
It will highlight the Data Stewardshipt and Governance implications of various regulatory acts with a focus on GDPR and illustrate how organisations can prepare for compliance.
Additionally, the practical roles responsibilities and activities involved in establishing successful Data Governance together with example Data Governance metrics for measuring progress of a Data Governance initiative will be highlighted. Importantly it will show how Data Asset management and Governance can be implemented in bite sized chunks vs being introduced in a top-down “big bang” manner.
The vital relationship between Data Governance and other core disciplines of Master Data Management, Data Modelling, Metadata Management & Data Quality management will be highlighted.
This course addresses all the core Data Asset management and Governance considerations and introduces the other associated Information Management disciplines. Taught by an industry recognized DAMA DMBoK(2.0) author, CDMP(Fellow) and recipient of the DAMA Lifetime Achievement Award, this course provides a solid foundation for anyone interested in Data Governance.
What you will learn
- Learn about the need for and application of Data Asset management and Governance for different categories of challenges
- Understand the Data Asset management and Governance implications of a variety of regulatory acts and how to prepare your organisation for compliance.
- Understand the Data Governance implications of GDPR and the key steps to ensure compliance – whilst improving organisational Data Management.
- Explore a Business focused Data Governance framework and understand how it aligns with other architecture frameworks
- Understand the core concept of Information lifecycle management, the different stages and why they are important
- Understand the critical role that Data Governance plays in the Information disciplines of Master Data Management and Data Quality management.
- Understand the role and the activities required of a Chief Data Officer (CDO)
- Understand the detailed Data Governance roles together with the activities required for them – including Data Owner, Data Steward and Data Custodian.
- Learn the different motivations for Data Stewardship and Governance and how best to implement DG approaches
- Develop a set of usable techniques that can be applied to a range of information management challenges
- Learn the best practices for managing Enterprise Information needs
- Understand the different operating models for Data Governance & determine which is the best fit for your organisation
- Learn how to create Data Governance organisation and committee structures to address differing styles of organisational management.
- Introduction to Data Stewardship and Governance:
- The relationship between Data Governance and the other Information disciplines
- The Data Asset management and Governance implications of selected regulatory acts
- A pragmatic workable framework for Data Asset management and Governance
- Do we need a Chief Data Officer?
- Data Asset management and Governance Organisation, Roles and Responsibilities
- Keeping a Data Stewardship and Governance initiative going